Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The First Half of Our Pregnancy




So I have never blogged before but friends have encouraged me to start a blog of baby Junkin! I guess we will begin in March when we found out we were expecting and catch yall up to date! Jeremy and I had been "trying" to get pregnant for quite some time. After experiencing a miscarriage in December 2007 we were ecstatic to be pregnant again. A little worried but really excited. March 13 2008 was the day we found out only 3 weeks and 5 days into this experience. Well yall know that I work around pregnant people all the time so I know how EARLY this is. Of course this added to the anticipation. The following week we had HCG levels drawn and they were doubling as expected! Skip ahead to the middle of April ... we finally told our parents at 9 weeks! Of course they were beyond excited! Seeing that I had made it farther into the pregnancy than last time and the ultrasounds looked great! So after weeks of puking and hiding in the house we got to break the news. One sad note in here: due to puking I missed one of my great SU friends Pammies wedding. :( Sometime during this trimester baby Junkin was nicknamed kumquat from Jeremy. On babycenter.com there is a link that will show you the real life size of your baby week to week. Well one week it was a kumquat and ever since that has been his name! At week 12, and the end of the 1st trimester, we finally told friends and co workers! Well most of my co workers already knew (due to the puking day/night/whenever syndrome!) and of course they can spot preggo people from a mile away! But everyone else was finally informed of our news and the scariest part of the pregnancy was over!

So since I work in a place that had all access to ultrasounds and dopplers to listen to heartbeats I have hundreds of pictures and memories! What a blessing! May 3 was a really special night at work. It was a Sat and we weren't very busy. After 5 mins of searching we found kumquats heartbeat with the doppler = 157! Weeks 12-16 were pretty boring, mind the puking. Other than that kumquat continued to grow on ultrasound and every time we looked = legs crossed and no parts visible! Week 16, June 7th, was when I finally started feeling movement. Now not kicks and things that Jeremy could feel but more like butterflies and such! What an amazing feeling to feel your baby kicking inside of you! (Side note: How can you not know your pregnant! Never again will I believe this when my patients say ... "I just didn't know") Week 19, June 30, is when Jeremy was finally able to feel kumquat kick! He was amazed!

Coming up: July 10th is the major ultrasound day! At 3pm Jeremy and I go to find out what kumquat is! Boy/Girl we really don't care. We really just want a happy, healthy, full term baby! Hopefully though s/he will grace us with wide open leg and a good view of his/her parts! Everyone except of my sister Caitlin thinks it is a boy so we will see how accurate our gut feelings are!

Now as a labor and delivery nurse these next few weeks will be the scariest for me. Viability will be a huge celebration day! Aug 2, 2008 marks 24 weeks and 0 days! The considered age of viability. Now granted we want to deliver at 38-40 weeks! We will be celebrating in Nashville at Lauren's wedding! Since she is an NICU nurse she shares in the excitement of viability day!

So I think that catches us up to date! I hope you enjoy our 40 week experience and can't wait for yall to meet kumquat!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yay for baby Junkin! I'll add your blog to the links on my blog :) Feel free to add mine to yours if you want! Can't wait to find out if its a girl or boy....I'm hoping for a girl hehe :)